Monday 27 February 2012

Some Of The Effects Of Multiple Sclerosis In Our Life.

I have Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis. That means the M.S. gets more debilitating day by day as there are no drugs for my type that slows down the progression of M.S. I'm not a candidate for The Liberation Therapy - I had an Ultrasound that determined my neck arteries are open and they need to be pinched in order to receive this very simple operation. I was diagnosed in 1998. As of today, Feb. 27, 2012 I am in a wheelchair. My legs have no strength, I have very limited use of my right arm and hand (I'm right-handed) - I have difficulty operating and clicking a mouse. As a result, I need to use my left hand even though the strength has been reduced, I can use my left to sign documents but only my initials. I need to use a portable lift that can pick me up and set me down in either my wheelchair, or, in an easy chair in the T.V. room. I need help to have a shower. Caregivers come in 4 times per day to look after my personal needs. If I choose to sit in the wheelchair, since it doesn't have a tilt, I use a chest strap to hold me up as I can't do this myself. I can't afford to buy a wheelchair as it can cost around $18,000 per. This is paid through Alberta Aids to Daily Living. This chair is very basic as AADL only buys the least expensive one. Since it's been five years when I last applied for one, I can apply for another.
Our finances have been destroyed. When we sold our home to move into this one, a required bungalow, we were almost mortgage free. Since moving in 2003, 10 years later, we have maybe $90,000 in equity. That's not very much and we'll only have access to it if we sell. My wife can't work as she has her own health issues that prevent her from working. CPP brings in only 1088 and Social Assistance tops that up somewhat. I'm 53, my wife is 52.
In order to secure an income, I've been trading stocks, including currencies, with the help of a relative's husband who is VERY knowlegable in trading for at least 25 years. His computer knowledge was (is) virtually unmatched. Even though I had what seemed to be a very favorable influence here, the trading hasn't gone as well as planned. In 2006, I had bought a stock trading program that made it a perfectly good thing to buy right after I had to quit work at Telus due to the M.S. affecting negatively on my hands. I knew that I needed to secure an income and I thought this was the way to go. I was already in a manual wheelchair. I use a power one now.
I'm disappointed with the M.S. Clinic AND the M.S. Society. There really hasn't been any real, tangible, "cures" for M.S. although they would attest to the contrary. The M.S. continues to get worse along with our finances. Yeah, you could say the money given to this charity goes to M.S. research. Some of it does, but, most of it goes to keep researchers in high paying jobs. Am I jaded? Does our situation look like I shouldn't be? Ciau.

No comments:

Post a Comment